The natural aging process in the face can be experienced as annoying. Even as you get older, you don't feel older. You can partly delay sagging skin or the appearance of wrinkles through a healthy lifestyle, but external changes that have already taken place are irreversible. Would you like to have something done about this? Then a facelift offers an effective solution. During this procedure, our plastic surgeons tighten your skin and the underlying connective and muscle tissue, so that you regain your original contours and wrinkles fade. This will restore the balance in a natural way and you will no longer be bothered by weaker, sagging skin.
Facelift at Aesthetic Center Jan van Goyen
- Smoothing or reducing facial skin wrinkles
- Tighter contours of the neck and jawline
- Treatment plan based on your complaints
- Our plastic surgeons are affiliated with the Dutch Societies for Plastic Surgery NVPC and NVEPC
What is a facelift?
Due to the loss of firmness and elasticity in the skin and the reduction of the subcutaneous tissue layers and bone structure, visible folds and wrinkles appear that give you an aged appearance. The slackening of the subcutaneous tissue layer causes the already less firm skin to sag. With a facelift, the subcutaneous tissue is lifted and the excess skin is removed, so that the facial skin is back in its original position. The folds become less pronounced and the jawline and the contour of the neck are improved. During a facelift we tighten the skin and the subcutaneous connective and muscle tissue. Because we also move the subcutaneous tissue, the facelift has a long-lasting effect.
What does a facelift treatment involve?
As we apply the latest techniques, a facelift at EC Jan van Goyen has become a much less strenuous procedure than it used to be. The treatment takes less time to perform, the scars are almost invisible, and the recovery time has been reduced. We will give you a step-by-step explanation of what you can expect from a facelift treatment.
During the first consultation with the attending physician, your wishes will be discussed and we will examine your general health. Your health is determined based on a number of factors:
- Your medication use
- Any known allergies
- Your general health status
- Use of alcohol and drugs
- Previous surgery around your face
The physician will make an assessment to determine whether your wishes are feasible. You will also be extensively informed about the preparation, the surgery itself, the aftercare, and possible complications. Naturally, you can ask all the questions you may have.
Facelift: the operation
A facelift is an extensive operation that, depending on the size, takes about three hours. The operation is performed under a light general anaesthetic, combined with a local anaesthetic. We make a small incision in the hairy area of the temple, in front of and behind the ear. This means that there is a minimal visible scar on the ear, but this generally heals nicely and is hardly visible after a while. The scar behind the ear and the scars in the hairy area are not visible because of the location. You will be given a bandage on your head and stay one night with us in the clinic. The next morning, the treated area will be examined again and you will be given instructions for aftercare to take home. After this you can go home under supervision.
Aftercare and recovery after a facelift
It is important to rest for two weeks after surgery. Your face may be swollen and have blemishes. This will gradually go away. After about a week you will come to the office for a check-up. Until then, you should rest for the best possible recovery.
- You can take a shower on the second day after the surgery and rinse your hair with lukewarm water.
- In some cases, you will need to wear a facial bandage that must be worn for at least a week.
- We advise you to keep your face out of the sun and not use a solarium or sauna during the first three months after the surgery.
Important to know
- The stitches are dissolvable and do not have to be removed.
- You will be able to feel the subcutaneous sutures as small bulges underneath the skin in front of the ears for some time.
- The skin may be numb for the first few months after surgery.
- Scars take a year to fully recover and are still fiery for the first few weeks.
In general, clients experience little post-pain. You can use paracetamol as a pain reliever. Avoid taking aspirin.
After the operation, we are available 24/7 in case of emergency or urgent questions.
Preparing for a facelift
Before you undergo a facelift, it is good to know what you can expect and how to prepare for the surgery to make sure you recover as quickly as possible.
- You will stay overnight in our clinic after the surgery. Please arrange for someone to collect you the next day as you will not be allowed to drive yourself.
- If you take any blood thinning medication, you should stop taking it at least a week before the surgery, after consultation with your plastic surgeon.
- Make sure you are as physically fit as possible and stop smoking and drinking alcohol well before the surgery. Smoking and alcohol have a negative effect on the recovery process.
- Two weeks before the surgery you can start taking Arnica D6 drops in order to reduce swelling and bruising.
- Take vitamin C 1000 mg on a daily basis to keep your body healthy.
- Do not use cosmetics on the day of the procedure and wash your hair with mild shampoo the day before the procedure.
Is a facelift suitable for me?
There are many misunderstandings about facelifts. Many people believe that they give an unnatural ‘mask effect’. Another misconception is that a facelift will completely change a face as the characteristic facial features would fade. But it is quite the opposite. With a facelift, we try to bring out the best in your face while retaining your natural appearance and features as much as possible. Another person will not immediately notice the changes in your face: you will look younger and better in an unobtrusive way. A facelift will be suitable for you when:
- Your appearance does not suit you inside
- You are bothered by a tired appearance
- In need of facial rejuvenation / restoration of balance
Result after this procedure
The purpose of a facelift is to lift your skin in a natural way, so that you look younger and less tired and see the original contours again. The wrinkles associated with your facial expression and created when you smile or talk are preserved. During the consultation you will discuss your initial situation, wishes and the appropriate result with the plastic surgeon. It is important to know that the aging process in your body is not stopped with a facelift. However, you always retain an edge.
Below you will find an indication of the costs for a facelift. A more accurate view of the costs depends on your wishes and the assessment of the plastic surgeon. This will be discussed with you during the first consultation. A facelift is not covered by the health insurers.
|Type of facelift||price|
|Face/neck lift incl. overnight stay||From € 8,500|
|Endoscopic forehead lift||From € 5,000|
|Lateral eye brow lift||From € 3,100|
Risks and Complications
A facelift is a cosmetic procedure and will, therefore, pose the same risks as with any other surgery. The chance of complications, however, is more or less nil. Nevertheless, the attending surgeon will discuss the risks of the procedure so you will be able to make a well-informed decision. Possible complications that may occur after a facelift are:
- You would like to look younger
- Stiffness in the face and fluid accumulation
- Poor wound healing
- Nerve damage
- Formation of thickened scars
- Allergic Reaction to Medical Devices
Am I candidate for a facelift?
Facelift surgery is suitable for people who experience the natural ageing process in the face as disturbing or who have an older appearance due to exposure to the sun, smoking, or stress. A facelift is mostly carried out on people from the age of 40. For younger people, we usually advise a treatment with fillers or anti-wrinkle treatment On.
Is a facelift painful?
The treatment takes place under a light anaesthetic. You will not experience any pain during the procedure. You may experience pain after the procedure, but this can be treated with pain relief.
Can I be able to appear in public after the treatment?
Your face may be swollen and discoloured. In some cases, you may be given a facial bandage to wear. Most people plan about 2 weeks off from work or other obligations so they can give their body sufficient rest after the surgery. We advise you to avoid heavy physical activities during the first six weeks.
Will the treatment leave me visible scars?
An incision is made right along the hairline. This will leave a scar. The scar will gradually fade and will become more or less invisible with most patients.
Is a facelift reimbursed by the health insurer?
We aim to retain your natural facial expression as much as possible. Other people will not notice immediately that you have had a facelift. You will look better in an unobtrusive way.
Will I look very different after the facelift?
We strive to preserve your natural facial expression as much as possible. Others will not easily notice that you have had an operation. On the contrary, you will look unobtrusively better.
Meet one of our plastic surgeons during the intake consultation. Our experienced and specialised surgeons are here for you before and after the surgery.